- Tomato Puree (Pasata)
- Canned whole peeled tomatoes or Fresh tomatoes peeled & deseeded
- Onion (Diced finely)
- Garlic (Peeled and sliced finely)
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Red Chili (Sliced finely – deseeded if you can’t handle heat)
- Vegetable/Fish Stock
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Squid Tubes (Thawed if frozen)
- Baguette or French Stick
- Parsley (Coarsely Chopped)
- Basil (Roughly Torn)
- 1x Lemon (Zest & Juice)
- Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine (Pinot Gris/Sav Blanc)
- Black Olives (Pitted & Chopped)
- Anchovy Fillets (Optional)
Method (Stuffing Mix):
- Preheat oven to 230degC
- Cut French stick into 2cm slices and place into oven for 5-10min (until lightly browned and dry) and remove to cool.
- Process or pound bread slices into a slightly chunky crumb consistency and add to a mixing bowl with lemon zest, lemon juice, white wine, parsley, basil, olives & anchovy. Mix all ingredients through and add olive oil until stuffing mix starts to stick together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff squid tubes with stuffing mix. Ends can be sealed easily with toothpicks or skewers. Stuffing should not leak from tubes once sealed and does not need to be packed in too tightly as the squid tubes will shrink in the cooking process.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot and sauté onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until onions caramelize. Lower heat and add chili.
- Add tomato puree and whole peeled tomatoes to pot and mix through.
- Place stuffed squid in the sauce before it heats. Add a splash of white wine and stock until the tubes are covered with liquid.
- Cover pot with lid and ensure liquid is heated slowly to a simmer. Once simmering cook covered on low heat for 1hr or more.
- Serve with nice crusty bread and plenty of the sauce. Hopefully the bowl comes back mopped clean.